Is there a specific name for this feature:

Gable end with thin shingle roof underneath

I think this is purely for aesthetics, generally a horizontal mini-roof that connects the lowest points of a gable end. I believe it's to visually break up the otherwise large expanse of side wall, although without a term to look up I'm finding it hard to research.

  • 2
    I think that would just be called an "eave". Sometimes they just bring them in from the gable end a short distance, I have heard that called a "decorative eave return". – Jimmy Fix-it Aug 11 '17 at 15:12
  • 2
    +1 a full eave return, or a full cornice return. – CactusCake Aug 11 '17 at 15:23
  • 1
    We called them "eyebrows", though I doubt you'll find that in any manual. Eaves are any horizontal roof edge (as opposed to "rakes", sloped edges). I like "full eave return". – isherwood Aug 11 '17 at 15:35
  • "Eave return" and similar terms have yielded plenty of information for me - if any of you would like to add an answer to that effect I'll accept it. Otherwise I can add one myself. – user2152081 Aug 15 '17 at 0:41

As answered in the comments, it looks like this feature has a few names:

  • Just an "eave", like any other eave on the house
  • "eave return", or "full eave return"
  • "cornice return" or "full cornice return"

There are a handful of colloquial terms for specific types of "eave returns" - "pork chop returns", "mutton chop returns", "bird boxes".



Its a "pent" roof that forms the bottom of triangular pediment. Its all derived from classical Greek and Roman temples. It does allow the cornice to return and creates a roof eave.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.