Do I need to buy tools to be able to change the tank pressure gauge?

  • 1
    probably just a large enough crescent wrench. If you post a photo that would help. – Kokako Aug 8 '17 at 5:02
  • A lot of smaller pressure gauges that screw into a pipe thread use an open end wrench turn them. The wrench size is usually 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", or as Kokako wrote a crescent wrench of the appropriate size. – d.george Aug 8 '17 at 9:19

Little bit of teflon tape for the threads of the new gauge, a bath towel to sop up the water, and a pair of channel locks.

Don't forget to turn off your hot water heater, and somehow relieve the pressure from the gauge first.

  • 1
    I would give a + for the Teflon tape but the channel locks tear up the brass most gauges are made of If your answer had a crescent or open end wrench instead of channel locks I would up vote. – Ed Beal Aug 8 '17 at 13:15
  • Ya, I guess I should add that, as Ed said, this is a brass fitting. I strongly discourage new plumbers using a wrench that could produce too much torque, as fine threaded brass will strip easily. That's why I prefer to use channel locks. A simple quarter to half turn past snug is all that is required, but not knowing the strengrh of the plumber, I try not to suggest that. Me being 6'2", 230lb, my idea of snug may be different from, say, a keyboarder's idea of snug. Channel locks should produce about the right torque. – NPM Aug 8 '17 at 13:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.