I have a new deck going in the back of my house, about 6' off the ground. Made a HUGE mistake and made cuts on the posts 4.5" too short. Short of removing the posts and concrete, digging new holes and starting over, do any of these sound like good solutions?
- Bolt a 4.5" shim to the top of the post to raise it
- Remove post, add 5" of wet concrete to hole, re-use post
- Place beams in notch and bolt to post. Add three 2x4s on top of each beam, attach these to the joists
Feeling pretty low right now, any guidance is much appreciated! Thanks!
Update #1: Responding to questions below:
- Posts are 6x6
- Top has been cut off posts and notch made for beams
- Cement was added around posts in the post holes per code requirements
- Primary goal = safety/code compliance. Cost is the major consideration in not starting over with new posts
I'm leaning towards option #3 below (clarified above). Any concerns about this? I discussed it with the city code inspector who thought it would be fine.