I need to find a metal part that looks a bit like this:

     hole for bolt                strong metal
      |                            |
  /   v                                    \
 (   (_)                              (_)   ) <--round end

This looks like a common part from a Meccano set, but with just two holes at either end for bolts. Two of these can go around a 2x4, then bolts run through the holes.

    /__\                             /__\<--end of bolt
 ____________________________________________<--the part
     __                               __
     __                               __
     __                               __
     __                               __ <---bolt
     __                               __
     __                               __
     __                               __
 ____________________________________________<--the part
    [==]                             [==]<---nut

I am searching for a name so that I can find these to buy. Is there a common application where these appear? Are they commonly used by a particular contractor for a particular type of job? What is the name of this kind of part?

  • Perforated steel strapping? This is often sold in longer lengths with multiple holes and can be cut to length and ends rounded.
    – bib
    Jul 28, 2017 at 13:52
  • @bib I don't think that will work, as it looks flexible. I need this to be very strong.
    – Village
    Jul 28, 2017 at 14:02
  • Are you reinforcing a joint or clamping something else to timber? Jul 28, 2017 at 14:49
  • 2
    'Brace' is the common layman term. 'Strap' or 'Tie' or 'Strap Tie' is more formal.
    – JimmyJames
    Jul 28, 2017 at 15:56
  • 4
    That is some very impressive and pretty ASCII art.
    – KRyan
    Jul 29, 2017 at 0:52

9 Answers 9


(so far, other answers don't show something I'd use on a 2x4, hence this answer)

Two of these can go around a 2x4, then bolts run through the holes ... Is there a common application where these appear?

"Straight Timber Connector" - for non-structural connections such as landscaping.

enter image description here

Smaller versions are usually called mending plates in my part of the world.

For structural applications involving vertical shear loads - like splicing joists - in buildings, you'd typically use something very different to that illustrated above. E.g. a "splice plate" or "nail plate".

enter image description here

As Isherwood noted, there are likely to be a variety of names for these types of connector.

  • 2
    +1 for showing the thing the OP needs. But IMO, the top image is a (strap) tie, and the bottom one is a (nail) plate.
    – Mazura
    Jul 28, 2017 at 18:06
  • If this is part of a drive chain (think motorcycle, etc), it's a link plate: plate, again!
    – Kaz
    Jul 30, 2017 at 20:39

In the USA, this has been known as a mending plate for as long as I can recall. I might have learned about the terminology in shop class, it's that old:

mending plate

A quick google search using those terms results in far too many links to list. Stainless steel, brass, zinc plated steel, probably even copper, although the latter would be a terminal jumper rather than a mending plate. Prices from under a dollar to triple that or more.

  • "I might have learned about the terminology in shop class, it's that old" - FWIW that's the term I learned in shop class... 8 years ago :p
    – BlueBuddy
    Jul 28, 2017 at 20:30
  • more than 40 for me! It's good to see some good stuff is still being taught.
    – fred_dot_u
    Jul 28, 2017 at 21:05
  • "mending plate" is also a common name in the UK, e.g. here.
    – Jules
    Jul 30, 2017 at 0:05

It's not going to have a standard name. It performs different roles in different applications, where it receives semantic names. It's just a bar or strap that's bored for fasteners.

For example, here it's a bracelet blank:

enter image description here

And here it's a separator bar:

enter image description here

  • 3
    You forgot Erector sets :P
    – Machavity
    Jul 28, 2017 at 16:47

I have seen these in the big box stores the are for generic timber frame connections, this is a small sample, not exactly what I seen but gets the idea across. It is 5"X 1/12", the square holes will not matter. They are a help if you use carriage bolts


It is Available in Hardware store and it called Coupling Plates available in many length or you can make by yourself just by drilling holes on plates but if you want strong steel plates purchase pre holed plates.


FISHPLATES or COUPLERS is quite a common term in the UK


If it's for electrical it's a bus bar plate.


That is the mount(ing) plate for a U-bolt,

like this:

u-bolt with mount plate



Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.