What are these kind of "Erector Sets" generally known as?

I know this is based on "Aluminium Sections". I was wondering if there is a class of products/ companies in the space that are called "something" and not only one of them.


I had some DIY ideas I wanted to execute, but found the Wood work/ Metal-welding and drilling pathways a bit more hard core and cumbersome and not easy to disassemble-reassemble nor very light weight.

Someone suggested looking at a certain site/ brand (not promoting them as I am a consumer who likes the mechanism but would like to find other options in the space as these do not seem to be available where I am in Asia right now).

Is there a general name/ categorization or "what they are called" in common terms so that I can google and/ or ask around to find their availability?

Not sure if I should link to them but here is URL and a little about them.

T-slotted Aluminum framing system is the only term/ word I could come up with from their material. Is there a industry/ general set of terms/ names for it?


80/20 is a T-slot aluminum building system you can use to construct virtually anything. When you think of 80/20 think of “an erector set” for adults.

enter image description here enter image description here

1 Answer 1


Those are usually just called T slot aluminum extrusions.

The 80/20 one is by far the most common style but now there are alternative standards created in the past few years such as

MakerBeam http://amzn.to/2h2F9hq

OpenBeam http://amzn.to/2h1Tyui

80/20 profiles
10 series   1" 
15 series   1.5"
20 series   20 mm  
25 series   25 mm  
30 series   30 mm  
40 series   40 mm  
45 Series   45 mm

Maker Beam 10 mm enter image description here

Maker Beam XL 15 mm enter image description here

Open Beam 15 mm enter image description here

  • This 8020 is just the name of company. Thanks for responding - It was nice to see the products. I'd love to research the "variety" & standards instead - That would be great. Can you highlight a reference for all the "standards" in this space?
    – Alex S
    Jul 26, 2017 at 13:50
  • / I was hoping you could expand on the "standards" part of this space?
    – Alex S
    Nov 2, 2017 at 4:08
  • Are these alternative standards created by these companies or some organization/ body that has set some that are used by many manufacturers across a region or industry?
    – Alex S
    Jul 4, 2018 at 4:52
  • ^ ?? Thoughts/ expand on the above please?
    – Alex S
    Jun 27, 2019 at 6:05
  • 1
    Every manufacturer creates their own flavor of T-slot framing, there is no real universal industry standard for these things. Though I think almost all commercial usage of T-slot framing are using the 80/20 designed profiles.
    – Netduke
    Jul 3, 2019 at 14:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.