I had a leaky toilet and had to replace the subflooring in the bathroom. The flange is also rusty and a little warped and must be replaced. I've seen plenty of videos telling me to score the flange fitting and use a screwdriver or chisel to break the glue and remove the fitting from the pipe. However it looks like primer was used in my case and I can't get the fitting to budge. I'm afraid of breaking the pipe and ending up with a real mess.

What is the best way to remove the flange if it was installed using primer and glue?


Depending on where the flange is broken you could look into a .flange repair kit If that won't do it, I would cut the old flange at the pipe with a mandrel saw from the inside of the 3-4" pipe. Then get a flange with a longer neck that will glue onto the existing pipe. Try to cut the pipe as straight as posible.

  • Thanks! Will this make it impossible to glue the new flange in place? I suppose as long as the cut is really straight I should be ok... – ryanday Feb 5 '12 at 19:42
  • Just finished this up. My flange is a little loose, but I'm sure I'll figure something out there. – ryanday Feb 9 '12 at 21:54
  • 1
    You used the PVC glue? And screwed the flange into the sub floor? Should be secure if you did that. – SteveR Feb 9 '12 at 22:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.