While investigating putting in a fan, we came across this odd utility box with spring loaded cover. What is it for, and can we remove it?

House was built in 1935. An addition to another part of the house was added in the 1960s.

enter image description here

Center part looks like ceramic. Insulator?

Four holes, that might be threaded. Center, ceramic? part has a raised section that would maybe prevent mis-alignment of whatever attaches.

Here is a shot of the wire disappearing under the house. Electric wire in foreground gives some scale:

enter image description here

  • Have you looked inside it? Is that an electrical cable going into it? – Jim Stewart Jul 22 '17 at 18:22
  • Where does the cable go? – A. I. Breveleri Jul 22 '17 at 18:36
  • Off into the ether, as far as I can see. I am looking through a small access panel. – S. Albano Jul 22 '17 at 18:45
  • 1
    It looks more like a phone line than regular electric wire to me. – S. Albano Jul 22 '17 at 18:46

Looks like a telephone wire. Also looks like an old style 4-prong telephone jack (inside a fancy metal housing that's a new one on me.) Do you still have an active land-line?


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.