I found out that my meter base has an N-G Bonding Jumper but also there is one in my service equipment main panel and also another one in the service panel for all the backyard lighting and equipment which bonding should I take out?

  • Do you have a breaker in your meter base? Is your main panel equipped with a single main breaker, multiple (rule of 6) disconnecting means, or no disconnecting means? Is the backyard lighting and equipment panel controlled by a single breaker (other than the main breaker if present) in the main panel? – ThreePhaseEel Jul 21 '17 at 21:57
  • 1
    Is there a grounding conductor between all the points, or is it all three wire feeders? – Tester101 Jul 21 '17 at 21:57
  • Some utilities are now requiring a bond in the meter base. – ArchonOSX Jul 21 '17 at 22:10
  • 1
    Pictures would be great – Kris Jul 22 '17 at 14:27
  • No there's no breaker in the meter base, Yes the Main Panel that's inside the house has a 200 amps 240 volts main breaker, the outside panel for the backyard its powered straight from the meter as well as the inside main panel but in the backyard panel they put a 60 amps 240 volts side breaker acting as a main breaker (not sure if I explain myself). – Marlon Castro Jul 22 '17 at 16:47

The bonding jumper should always occur at the first means of disconnect. Whether it is at the panel with a main breaker or a remote enclosed breaker. After that every panel or breaker should have an isolated neutral bus and a separate grounding bus. So you subpanel should be corrected.

The meter is covered under NEC Article 90.2(B)(5) a. Which basically states that the NEC does not cover property owned or leased from the electric utility and includes you meter and meter base. So they have there own codes and we simply do what they have requested.

Hope this helps.

  • You can bond the neutral to ground at the service drop, in the meter can, or in the service equipment. If you remove the neutral bonding in this system, you'll have to provide a ground-fault current path. This means installing a separate grounding conductor from the bonding location, to all other devices/outlets/enclosures fed by the service. You cannot simply remove the bonding jumper in the panel, otherwise the system will be ungrounded from that point on. – Tester101 Jul 23 '17 at 0:12
  • Thank you Tester101; I know, I don't want to remove the bonding from all the points but I also know that the bonding should be only in one place not in all the parts. What I don't know is what's the best point to leave it on – Marlon Castro Jul 24 '17 at 15:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.