I need to replace my kitchen faucet which just broke. However, we're already planning to have a new counter top installed in about 3 months (I was hoping the old faucet would last).

I want to buy a quality faucet now and move it to the new counter. The existing sink is a typical (here in US) stainless steel "rim on top of counter" mount. The new sink will be an under the counter type. The sink has 3 holes on 4" centers.

What do I need to consider to ensure the new faucet will work in both situations? Is the difference in thickness from the old sink to the new mount on the counter a problem? Can I safely assume the new counter fabricator/installer can make appropriate holes for any faucet that fits the current sink?

  • you need to know if you are replacing a 1 hole, 3 hole or 4 hole fixture. The spacing is standard, but not the number of holes required. Feb 5, 2012 at 13:41

2 Answers 2


Faucets are standardized, and should be able to be installed in either situation. Anything you buy will almost certainly work with your new counter top.


You can almost certainly install anything into your new countertop, but you may want to think about what you want there - mainly in terms of how many holes will be required. If you're replacing a 3-hole fixture now, but want to have a one-hole setup later, you can get a faucet that comes with an optional escutcheon. That can cover all the holes in your current sink, and then can be installed in your new counters without the escutcheon for a neat one-hole look.

Example: http://www.homedepot.com/Kitchen-Kitchen-Faucets-Single-Handle/h_d1/N-5yc1vZarvl/R-203014160/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.