So i am trying to change my regular 3 way switches to smart ones and before i started taking them out, I took a multi meter to find hot wires and label them.
So with the upstairs 3 way switch ON ( aka light is ON), using the multimeter probes:
Black probe to green ground, red probe to bronze screw with red traveler wire: 120v
Black probe to green ground screw, red probe to black screw ( which i believe is the common) as soon i touched it with the probe, POOOOOOOOOOOF! smoke, bright spark, and the tip of probe got black. Breaker didn't trip tho, the light was still on.... Is there something funky with my wiring? I would assume i should be able to measure voltage this way without any issues.
Or maybe the multi meter is bad? Don't think so because it measures the red wire to 120v just fine without firewoks..
I can get pictures of both upstairs and downstairs switches later when i get home if that helps, but the wiring seems pretty standard.