The electric source of my water well is a circuit box on a house that is to be demolished. I want to keep the electricity to the water well. What are my options?

  • Are you in the US or somewhere else?
    – Machavity
    Commented Jul 19, 2017 at 22:05
  • How far away from your house is the water well? Commented Jul 19, 2017 at 22:21
  • 1
    Also, can you get us the nameplate data on the well pump? Commented Jul 19, 2017 at 22:21

1 Answer 1


Assuming you're in the US, what you'll need to do is the following (an electrician might be a good idea for some of this)

  1. Mount a pole near to where the pump is. A pressure treated 4x4 would work for this
  2. Mount a meter box. If you're doing this yourself, you can sometimes find these with the mast pre-attached and utility ready
  3. Attach a breaker box to the meter. There's a lot of these with only a few breaker slots (think a 100 amp panel)
  4. A GFCI breaker for however many amps the pump draws. My bet is a 20 amp would do
  5. Thick enough UF wire and conduit to reach to the pump. 12-2 would be sufficient if 20 amps was for the previous step

Once this is all set, have the utility come out and connect to the box and install a meter. And that's it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.