I noticed a good sized hole in an exterior wall that allows wires and things to go from my AC unit into my basement.

The problem is that the hole is a good deal larger than it needs to be and there is nothing sealing the hole, so I can see sunlight clearly through the hole.

What should I use to fill this hole in my wall preserving the important stuff going through the hole?

Click for full size

hole in the wooden exterior wall

  • Picture? What is going through the hole, how big is the hole? – auujay Feb 3 '12 at 22:17
  • Also, what material is used for the wall? – lqlarry Feb 4 '12 at 3:22

I would use Duct Seal

enter image description here enter image description here

I'm surprised whoever installed the AC unit didn't use it, it's used all the time by Electricians and HVAC technicians.

It does not harden; so unlike foam, it can be easily removed and replaced if you have to add/remove wiring/plumbing.

  • 2
    FYI: "Duct Seal" link is broken. – Nick Chammas Apr 8 '19 at 0:14

Usually all that is needed is a good outdoors silicon caulk. You can get a clear type or a paint-able white type.

  • 4
    "Do your best and caulk the rest!" – auujay Feb 3 '12 at 22:39
  • I like 'great stuff' for this sort of application. try the 'doors and windows' version. – Trout Feb 3 '12 at 22:58
  • 3
    Foam gap fillers (like Great Stuff) are very useful but are not the best way to seal exterior surfaces, because they break down faster when exposed to sunlight and/or water. An exterior-grade caulk is the way to go for a longer-lasting seal. – Shimon Rura Feb 4 '12 at 7:10
  • Painted Great Stuff last much longer. – Bryce Sep 5 '12 at 7:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.