Installing a new toilet, it came with these plastic washers, but I've never seen them with any other toilets I've installed, and I'm not really sure what they're for.

toilet bolts

The center is slightly conical and is raised by about 1/4". They came in the bag with the other metal parts, and the white plastic covers came in a separate bag.

What are they, and where are they supposed to go?

  • 2
    Do they fit snugly inside that dome-shaped toilet bowl installation cap? It looks like something I would push down over the bolt that sticks up after installation to provide a place that the caps can seat onto. It's a neat idea, if that's what it is. My cats like to unseat those caps and kick them around on the bathroom floor. Jul 15, 2017 at 21:04
  • The white washers are for the caps (and perfectly clip into a groove at the bottom). The ones in question fit almost halfway into the caps, but don't attach in any way and just wobble around inside.
    – gregmac
    Jul 15, 2017 at 22:18
  • They are the spacers that go below the flat white (bottom of the dome screw covers) not all kits have them some are more solid and spread the load better than just the plastic.
    – Ed Beal
    Jul 15, 2017 at 23:48
  • @EdBeal on top of the toilet? Can't be - without then the caps are perfectly flush, so with them the caps would sit way too high.
    – gregmac
    Jul 16, 2017 at 0:42

1 Answer 1


If not to hold the white cap in place as Robert suggested, I would say they are used to hold the bolts upright while placing the toilet. There would need to be a void under the toliet of course.

  • 1
    That is precisely what they are for. To hold the bolts upright.
    – Jack
    Jul 16, 2017 at 0:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.