I have remove most of the wallpaper in my kitchen, to be able to paint it.

However, the surface is uneven and I'm not sure what kind of products I can use to make the wall smoother and to apply painting on it.

enter image description here

A friend of mine suggested to sand down the wall.

What do you think of that suggestion?

If this is not the right suggestion, what else can I do?


1 Answer 1


You can skimcoat with drywall compound. The suitability of that may depend on your skills with a trowel.

You can add a layer of 1/4" drywall on top, or you can remove the wall surface (do any maintenance that makes sense while it's open) and replace with new drywall.

  • Hi @Ecnerwal, is there any ready to use solution? I'd be honest, I'm not that skilled with a trowel... and my wish is do something like this lady --> uglyducklinghouse.com/coat-of-many-layers-skim-coating
    – Andy K
    Jul 2, 2017 at 13:59
  • Joint compound is about as ready to use as you can get when you buy it in a bucket. There is no magic solution - you either have to do work, or hire someone else to do work, or live with a lumpy wall.
    – Ecnerwal
    Jul 2, 2017 at 14:02
  • @Ecnewal fair enough , I will do the work. No way to live with it.
    – Andy K
    Jul 2, 2017 at 14:03
  • Don't underestimate the need for skill/practice at skimming out a wall. If it was me (and I'm a working carpenter that has been forced to sling drywall mud over a great number of years), I'd find a pro. If you DIY, try hard to get low dust (aka 'dust control') drywall compound. Jul 2, 2017 at 21:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.