At my girlfriend's mom's house she purchased last year. It's an older home built in the 50's. They are having drainage problems and flooding in the walk out area below grade (see pictures). We popped up some boards and the upstairs sewage is draining in the open under these boards. Is this normal? I thought sewage should be to a public sewer or septic hidden from open air.

Water is coming from under steps too, so i think it's bad drainage and we started pulling those boards and see crap water..


enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

  • 2
    This is quite abnormal for sure! Jun 30, 2017 at 0:14
  • 1
    That is very wrong and a serious health concern. Jun 30, 2017 at 0:30
  • 1
    There is a clean out above, to the far left of yard. We couldn't find a plat of survey with the closing documents so i believe there is no septic, just leading to the public sewer system.
    – eaglei22
    Jun 30, 2017 at 19:02
  • 1
    Talking with the mom a plumber was called. I looked at the paperwork and it looks like he came across a blockage with the camera pretty far in, so he is looking at pressuring and clearing all the pipes. So is this pipe possibly an overflow pipe in the event of a blockage? The plumber didnt seem to know.
    – eaglei22
    Jun 30, 2017 at 19:07
  • 1
    @elrobis forgot to follow up with this. D Duncan's answer is correct. The main drain had tree roots coming through it, so a lot of foreign material got in there. It had to be professionally cleaned by a plumber. The person who "renovated" the home covered all the clean out access. The floor one was covered with tile, the other two were dry walled over. Not sure how the plumber figured out where they were, but he did, and now we have to repair those areas, properly. Also, that area under the deck pipe vent comes from a Y connection, so it was overflowing there. I haven't seen that type of..
    – eaglei22
    Jan 9, 2018 at 16:29

1 Answer 1


You have a clogged main drain and the sewage is coming up from the drain vent in the yard. Get the drain cabled.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.