What tool do I need to unscrew the fasteners shown on the metal lock on this sliding window?


  • Kinda looks like the piece used to block a high-rise window from opening fully, to prevent accidental (or purposeful) falls from height. If this is the case and you have kids around, don't remove it and leave it unsupervised. And if the home is a rental, make sure you replace that piece later... and call someone if you're thinking about jumping! Jun 30, 2017 at 1:59
  • A Dremel with a metal-cutting blade and a big flat-tip screwdriver. Jun 30, 2017 at 2:45

1 Answer 1


Those are tamper proof torx screws. You will need the appropriate bit. These are usually sold as kits of security bits.

  • 2
    Harbor Freight has great sets of security bits!
    – self.name
    Jun 29, 2017 at 19:49
  • Thanks. Would something like this from Amazon work? They have other ones with 32 bits but would this 9 piece set likely have a bit to fit the window screws? These are 5 piece sets. Do I need this or a 6 piece set? Thanks amazon.com/McKay-Multifunction-Security-Tamper-Driver/dp/…
    – Help
    Jun 29, 2017 at 21:56
  • @Help Notice the shape of the screwheads and compare that to the shape of those bits. I don't see how those two could ever fit together. You need the 6-point bits.
    – Dan Mašek
    Jun 29, 2017 at 22:45
  • 2
    @DanMašek I think a source of persisting confusion is that Torx markets (or used to anyway) a system called "Torx Plus" consisting of 5 point tamper proof screws and 6 point normal screws, and no 6 point tamper proof version.
    – Random832
    Jun 29, 2017 at 23:20
  • Good to know that. Would this set work? Thanks amazon.com/McKay-Multifunction-Security-Tamper-Driver/dp/…
    – Help
    Jul 1, 2017 at 14:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.