I have a microwave oven - standard cheap LG unit. It's no longer working (it made electrical sparking sounds), so I opened it up to see if it's possible with a DIY repair.

First thing I did was of course to discharge the capacitor for safety reasons.

I cannot see anything obvious here, but I am not experienced in microwave repair at all.

I'm including a video (the most interesting) and a photo.

I have tested the magnetron using the continuity check on a multimeter. It seems to be working. I've checked the big diode and the thermal fuse. Is there anything else I can check?

YouTube Link: Showing how some electric sparking happens near the magnetron

Shows the innards of the microwave

Extra link: A couple more photos if relevant

  • 4
    Microwave magnetrons are dangerous things. I'd expect it is very unlikely that you can economically repair a cheap microwave oven that has no obvious simple fix and where there appears to be a sustained high-voltage (~5000V) high current arc ocurring. A replacement might cost $70 - I wouldn't risk my life for $70. – RedGrittyBrick Jun 29 '17 at 12:29
  • 1
    Yes, fixing it may even cost more than a new cheap microwave oven. If I end up throwing it away, is there perhaps some interesting parts I should salvage for fun projects? – T.K. Jun 29 '17 at 12:34
  • 2
    Yeah, I would not suggest repairing a microwave as a DIY project. The risks are too high and new microwaves are cheap. – Machavity Jun 29 '17 at 12:47
  • 1
    Ditto. Nothing this inexpensive is worth risking your life (or someone else's) over. I admire your precautions such as discharging the cap. But this sounds like a good time to just pull out the transformer and build a Jacob's Ladder with coat hanger elements to impress the kids. Hint: If you do, put it inside a transparent PVC pipe so nobody can touch it. You can take the magnetron apart to salvage the magnets, but do not ever do anything with the radiating element - the insulation around it is nasty material, and one breath of the dust from cutting it can be much worse than asbestos. – SDsolar Jun 29 '17 at 14:00
  • 2
    Yes, for instance the transformers are great high voltage sources. In third world countries they use them to step up electricity for lomg distance transmission. – Harper Jun 29 '17 at 16:49
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Conclusion - it's probably wise not to try to fix this. As suggested by comments, it's just going to be too dangerous and not economically feasible. I will scavenge the parts from the old microwave and buy a new one to replace it.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.