Just want to be sure it is safe to use a 25w LED bulb marked as ceiling fan in a regular table lamp.


You can use the bulb in a normal table lamp so long as ...

  • Fitting:The fitting is the same (E.g. standard Edison screw in US)
  • Voltage: The bulb is marked the same voltage as your household standard voltage (120 V in US). The voltage is approximate, sometimes you will see 110 V - that's a small enough difference that it doesn't matter for our purposes.
  • Wattage: The bulb wattage (25W) does not exceed the rating marked on the lamp-holder (unlikely to be a problem for any lamp-holder designed for traditional standard plain ordinary old inefficient incandescent tungsten filament light bulbs like your grandfather used.) Lamp-holders are often marked something like "Max 40W".
  • Cooling: There is room for air to flow around the bulb. LED bulbs can overheat in some types of small fully enclosed light fittings. This is unlikely to be a problem in any normal type of table lamp where the shade is open at top and bottom.

Nowadays there are many different types of bulb. Some are designed for 12 V DC instead of 120 or 230 or 240 V AC. We can't see your ceiling fan so we can't be sure it isn't a weird one. That's why you should check markings on the bulb.


Wattage is a guide to how much heat the bulb produces. It is no longer a useful guide to how much light the bulb produces. Sometimes the bulbs are marked with an "equivalent" wattage which you should be careful about understanding - it means "this bulb is roughly as bright as an old-fashioned incandescent tungsten filament bulb that produced this amount of heat". Ignore that and look for the real Wattage. Wattage is really a measure of heat-producing power.

Lumens tells you how much light the bulb produces.

  • I would also add: Bulbs marked as "For ceiling fans" are explicitly built to withstand the vibrations from the fan, so they are fine when used elsewhere. There are similar indicators and/or markings for garage door opener (vibration), fridge (cold temp), oven (high temp) and "rough service" (vibration/bumps/shocks) bulbs. These can all be used as "normal" bulbs, they just generally cost a bit more so it usually doesn't make sense to buy specialty bulbs for a non-specialty purpose. – gregmac Jun 27 '17 at 18:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.