Could anyone in the UK give me an idea what this pipe might be? It's sticking out of the ground about 0.5m from the back wall of my house. It seems to be capped off with a wired-shut cap or something. I'm hoping it's not gas - but I'm not sure.

The problem is that I've come to lay a new lawn where a flower bed was and found it, and it sticks up well past the level of the new lawn! :(

Mystery Pipe

1 Answer 1


it's difficult to determine without a scale reference, but if I found this sort of thing in my yard, my first inclination would be to tap on it to determine that it's a solid rod and the suspect cap is a clamp used to attach grounding cables. The shape of the top of the rod/pipe appears to be the result of hammering the rod into the earth. In the USA, one can expect an 8 foot (>2 meter) long rod to meet specifications of many areas of the country.

  • Thanks Fred, some other people have suggested an old earth spike. I'm still trying to figure out if I need it or not...
    – daklone
    Commented Jun 25, 2017 at 18:31
  • @daklone Probably not ... there is nothing connected to it any more.
    – Steve
    Commented Jun 26, 2017 at 20:20
  • Thanks guys. In the end I decided that I didn't need it but rather than dig it up I just knocked it into the ground about 8" and left it.
    – daklone
    Commented Jun 28, 2017 at 6:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.