We have a gate in a city with an intercom button on it. When guests push the button, it rings upstairs, and then we can talk with them or let them in with the press of a button. The button appears to release the latch plate on the gate.

I want to replace this with either or both of a keypad or a smartphone-operable system.

What should I search for? What product category is this? How do I discover what might be compatible with the existing system? I am struggling to know what to search for.

put on hold as off-topic by isherwood, Daniel Griscom, ThreePhaseEel, Machavity, Iggy yesterday

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions seeking product or service recommendations are off-topic because they tend to become obsolete quickly. Instead, describe your situation and the specific problem you're trying to solve." – Daniel Griscom, ThreePhaseEel, Machavity
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Unfortunately, "shopping" questions are off-topic here. Please take our tour so you'll know how best to participate here. – Daniel Griscom Sep 26 at 18:22

Google "Security gate access systems" But most systems will probably want its own inner and outer control boxes, but hey at least the wiring is there or you could go wifi with camera and controls that could be accessed by phone anywhere in the world, added with a wifi door lock and presto instant full access control.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.