I have a PA System with the ground wire missing. It has shocked me in the past and I'd like to use it. Short of a repair (which is coming), would using a grounded extension cord from the wall to the plug on the PA negate the shocking safety hazard that the ungrounded PA presents?

  • 3
    Short answer: No
    – Tyson
    Commented Jun 17, 2017 at 15:11
  • 2
    No. You need to cut off the damaged plug and put on a new one. It's easy. Meanwhile, welcome to Home Improvement. You can take the tour at diy.stackexchange.com/Tour to get the most out of this site.
    – SDsolar
    Commented Jun 17, 2017 at 15:12
  • There is an option to purchase an extension cord with a ground fault circuit breaker (GFCI) built into it. (These are quite common on construction job sites, etc, and are available at most building supply places.) But replacing the device's plug or cord would be cheaper.
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Jun 18, 2017 at 0:56

2 Answers 2



Your problem is that you need to fix whatever is causing the shocks and replace the butchered plug. There is no make-shift repair for this.


Not at all. I would cut the broken plug and get a replacement. Also make sure the PA is properly grounded inside as well.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.