The "washer" below is from a carriage bolt. It's like a t-nut, but used on the square side of a carriage bolt and holds it steady. I'd love to get my hands on a box of these but can't for the life of me Google the correct terms. Hopefully someone here will be able to point me in the right direction.

For what it's worth, the "washer" came from an older kids playset that was custom built.

carriage bolt washer

  • If you're desperate then normal washers will do. To replicate something similar, use an oversized washer, and put some small cuts in the side with a hacksaw. Then bend the very edge over in a vice to create the teeth. Finish up with some zinc cold galv spray for rust prevention.
    – Criggie
    Jun 14, 2017 at 19:42

3 Answers 3


That is a toothed or pronged "torque washer". As you suspect, it's intended to prevent a carriage bolt from turning in soft wood.


Get these at Menards. Galvanized Torque Washers, 10 in a package.

  • 1
    This duplicates isherwood's answer
    – fixer1234
    Aug 17, 2018 at 9:28

These are also called a "Pronged Washer".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.