Our village goes by the NEC 2011 (they have not updated to current code). Can you use non metallic in-use in Cook County, Illinois, or do i have to use the metal ones?

I looked at 2011 NEC 409.9 A. However when I spoke to the village building inspector he said I could. Hard to reach our electrical inspector and hopefully someone will know.

  • I tweaked your question a bit. Local code questions are off-topic, but national code questions are usually fine. – isherwood Jun 13 '17 at 18:57
  • 1
    I've never seen a metallic cover. – Harper - Reinstate Monica Jun 13 '17 at 19:00
  • @Harper -- metal while in use covers are a thing -- see the Taymac MX3200 and friends for an example – ThreePhaseEel Jun 13 '17 at 23:08
  • @Harper metal in use covers is what i meant..sorrt – larry pinsky Jun 14 '17 at 18:39
  • Thank u isherwood--didnt know about local code discussion versus nec. – larry pinsky Jun 14 '17 at 20:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.