I have a double horizontally sliding window (like a lot of homes in Canada). The windows are about 51/2 inches apart. I want to install a regular 10,000 BTU air conditioner in the window but I don't know how. Can anyone help me?


I assume you mean 5.5in (normally written 5 1/2"). That's too narrow for any window unit. You should get a portable in-room air conditioner, where the machinery sits inside your home and you just have exhaust hoses that need to vent to outside through your window.

Portable AC with horizontal sliding window installation

  • This will tend to draw warm air into your house, unless you also run a pipe for the condenser inlet. – Harper - Reinstate Monica Jun 12 '17 at 20:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.