I am planning to flip a door round so it opens with the hinges on the other side. Before I even start I want to know if the 'lock' mechanism exists in a mirrored format so the door can still open into the room.

I have an photograph of the mechanism that I would like to identify. If I can find out what the name is then I can at least start to search to see if that component exists in a mirrored format!

photograph of the mechanism that I would like to identify

  • 1
    I believe it has a specific name, but I don't remember it. I have seen this type of lock in the Villa Terrace Decorative Arts Museum in Milwaukee WI. They might be able to tell you about them villaterracemuseum.org/contact.html – Jim Stewart Jun 11 '17 at 15:38

This is a rim lock or sometimes called a rim latch. Yours looks to be made of cast iron, and while you may not be able to find the exact duplicate, you may be able to come close.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.