While watching videos about draining tankless water heaters, I noticed none seem to have this beige pipe with odd silver cab at the end. Does anyone know what this is and its purpose?

enter image description here


That is what we call a "pop off", or pressure relief valve. If the water pressure gets too high, that valve will open and drain into your waste water system. Its there so your tank, or hot water system, does not blow up due to getting too hot.

| improve this answer | |
  • When draining a tankless heater, do I need to do anything special w.r.t. the pop off valve. – Craig Jun 7 '17 at 3:21
  • @Craig, No, you don't need to do anything with the pressure relief valve. It's simply a safety device. – Edwin Jun 7 '17 at 4:11

I believe that's the pressure relief valve. Where does the plastic pipe go to

| improve this answer | |
  • It goes into the wall – Craig Jun 7 '17 at 3:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.