So I did a silly thing this weekend while digging out a tree root/stump... I managed to partially (1/3) cut through the buried pipe that runs down our garden to feed an outside tap. (Fortunately it is easy to isolate just this pipe!

How can I fix the pipe?

Is there something I can put over it or do I need to cut it completely and put some sort of joint in? If I need to put a joint in, what should I use? Is there any special considerations given its buried?
enter image description here

  • If it's a water pipe, basically you cut a piece out and replace it. The color throws me off a bit, it looks more like electric conduit than water pipe, by USA standard at any rate. Where on the planet (country) are you located?
    – Tyson
    Jun 3, 2017 at 19:00
  • @Tyson I'm in the UK, it's definitely a water pipe. Water came out of it when I cut it and it stopped coming out when I shut off the valve at the top of the garden :) it only feeds the tap at the bottom of the garden as far as I know.
    – Notts90
    Jun 3, 2017 at 19:26
  • On this side if the pond, there are PVC repair couplings that are easier for the less experienced. You can also just cut out a section of pipe and replace it... Beware PVC gluing isn't a wiggle it to you get it right thing... It will weld the connector and pipe together in about 5 seconds. That's why for the less experienced the expandable repair kit is easier.
    – Tyson
    Jun 3, 2017 at 19:42
  • @Tyson is that the same as this?
    – Notts90
    Jun 3, 2017 at 20:30
  • 1
    @stormy did you read the question at all? The wood you see is part of the tree root I was digging out. The pipe is a water pipe and it's being used to feed a garden tap.
    – Notts90
    Jun 8, 2017 at 6:16

2 Answers 2


Thanks to Tyson's comments above and some reading online I figured out how to repair the pipe and even better...no leaks!

Turns out the pipe is a 20 mm MDPE pipe so it could be repaired by putting a joint in the pipe. This was done by cutting the pipe and trimming off the pierced section, then putting pipe inserts into either end of the pipe. It could then be joined using a straight pipe coupling.

The pipe inserts are required to stop the pipe getting squeezed/crushed when pushing into and tightening the coupling.

Photos of the inserts and finished fix:

Finished repairenter image description here


In the US, they make a repair piece that clamps over a cracked section of pipe. Check with your local hardware store to see if they make something like that. It's also very easy to simply cut that section out and repair it with a piece of pipe and a couple of unions. As someone noted, you need to be fairly quick when repairing PVC pipe because the glue sets up fairly quickly. Just get all your pieces together and have everything ready before you glue them.

  • Where has it been established that this is PVC? Looks much more like PEX as much as I can guess anything from a picture (certainly a color I'm used to seeing in PEX and not in PVC) - which can also be repaired, but glue won't do...it takes a repair coupling and appropriate clamps.
    – Ecnerwal
    Jun 13, 2017 at 22:53
  • @Ecnerwal the pipe is MDPE.
    – Notts90
    Jun 16, 2017 at 17:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.