I'm looking to build a self-tipping seat such as what you'd find in a cinema or sports stadium. What kind of hinge system would it require? I can't seem to find anything online.


  • 1
    A movie theater seat of course. Sometimes you can find used ones on Craigslist. – Michael Karas May 31 '17 at 5:33
  • I think it's just a torsion spring around the axle the seat pivots on, with one end attached to the side of the frame and the other to the seat. You might also search for lecture hall chairs - they're often of similar design. – Chris M. May 31 '17 at 14:20

This can be done with a torsion spring, or several other types of spring depending upon your design. Or it can be done with a counter-balance.

The counter balance only requires you to set the pivot point of the hinge forward a bit with a weight on the bottom close to the back of the chair bottom. You can practice with a few designs in cardboard to see how adding a weight to a beam and placing the hinge higher or lower and forward and back until you get a feel for how it will behave.

Drew K

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.