I have a banister that is screwed into a plaster wall. The screws have come out of the wall and the plaster is all broken up. I know how to put stuff over the broken up plaster to make it smooth, but I'd like to be able to use that same exact spot to drill the banister screws back in.

Do I buy plaster and use that to fill in the broken plaster so that I can drill into the same area again?enter image description hereenter image description here

  • 2
    The handrail should have been secured to framing. The use of drywall anchors on a handrail is arguably negligent. To fix this properly you need to open up the wall and install bracing between the stubs onto which to mount the handrail support. – Dan D. May 28 '17 at 17:48
  • Any alternatives that you can think of? This seems like quite the project to open up a wall. – Ian Davis May 29 '17 at 12:02
  • Maybe I don't have to reuse that same area. Instead I could find the studs and install into those. – Ian Davis May 29 '17 at 12:09
  • @DanD. _ I would make this an answer. – tahwos May 30 '17 at 22:53
  • @IanDavis _ If you can find them, and it doesn't make the handrail less secure, that may be an option - but your question specifies, "exact spot" and "same area". – tahwos May 30 '17 at 22:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.