I recently purchased a old house and I have had constant problems with the tub clogging. In the past I was able to snake it successfully but this time the snake seems to have gotten stuck and when I tried to push it past I separated the connection where the pipe for the tub drain meets the pipe for the overflow. I have gotten prices but right now it will take a while to get it fixed. Looking at the connection I'm not sure if I could temporarily fix it using a flexible coupling.

The idea I had to fix it if just a coupling didn't work seemed a little involved but some what possible. Apparently there is at least a couple of feet before the trap (this may be the cause of the constant blockage). My thought is I could just replace the whole drain assembly and then use a coupling to connected the drain assembly to the rest of the pipe that goes to the trap. I'm thinking this would hold until I can get it permanently fixed.

Is this a bad idea as a fix, I have to replace the drain assembly anyway as part of the permanent fix and they generally go for about sixty dollars from what I can see. Any advice would be appreciated.

  • You have access to the drain assembly through an access panel, or hole you cut in the wall, or something? – mmathis May 25 '17 at 20:07
  • I have an access panel behind it and the rest goes through my garage. Due to the initial leak this caused I had to remove the drywall and insulation below it, so I also have access from below. – Daniel Whittaker May 25 '17 at 20:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.