I'm in Philadelphia, PA. I'm unable to get a key around the stop valve, because it's at an angle. It's several feet down, and I'd like to know if I can dig out and re-position the access pipe to correct the problem.

  • What do you mean by "access pipe"? Is it a plastic box with a plastic cover you can remove? Can you post a picture? – mmathis May 25 '17 at 16:01
  • I think the technical name is "curb stop box." It's the pipe at the street leading down to the main water shut off valve. It's cast iron, 4" diameter at the top, tapering to about 2" the rest of the way down. It has a cast iron cover that says "water" on it. Hope that helps. – user70104 May 25 '17 at 16:27
  • Not sure about Philly, but all the ones I have seen were just a casing not connected to the water pipes.You may be able to probe around with a long screwdriver or probe of some sort to see if you feel dirt where the pipe goes in and out. – Gwydionforge May 25 '17 at 17:26
  • Thanks, Gwydionforge. I'm going to try that. Hopefully, I can re-position or replace the pipe. – user70104 May 25 '17 at 18:04
  • 1
    I had a similar problem with my water valve access so i called the water company and they fixed it while I was at work. They told me that the valve and access to it was their responsibility and the piping after the valve was my responsibility. – d.george May 25 '17 at 22:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.