We bought a home to remodel - and taking down a wall we found that our gluelam beam is actually two different beams, held together with some steel and bolts, and supported by a 4x6 vertical timber. We don't think this was a part of the original design - but don't hate it enough to pay for engineering to replace the beam with one single piece...

So... any ideas on what we could do? Steel post of much smaller dimension?

Any creative ideas are appreciated!

beam in middle of kitchen island location

  • Is there some reason they might have had for cutting that beam? Or did they just not want to pay for a longer gluelam? – Harper - Reinstate Monica May 25 '17 at 6:19
  • 3
    Ideas about what you can do about what specifically. – Alaska Man May 25 '17 at 8:29
  • 1
    I'm not certain what your question is, so if my edit is wrong, please use the "edited" link above to undo the edit. – RedGrittyBrick May 25 '17 at 8:56
  • It looks to me as a tie point for 3 lambs, taking the post out could be a really bad idea without properly verifying the load requirements. Thick wall round would make a nice steel support. – Ed Beal May 25 '17 at 16:11
  • To have any hope of accurate communication - horizontal load supporting element = beam. Vertical load supporting element = post. You are apparently asking about replacing a wooden post with a steel post. while calling them beams? You won't (I suspect - your engineer will confirm or refute) be able to make it "much smaller" due to a delightful failure mode of "slender columns" known as buckling. – Ecnerwal May 25 '17 at 20:57

You have a lot going on at that point in your roof. I would strongly recommend you get a civil engineer to have a look if you are considering removing the post.

If you only want to replace the post with a steel column, that would be simple. You can google the strength of a wood column in the dimensions you have and select a similar or stronger steel pole.

From the picture I can confirm that it is a load bearing pillar, the beam that stretches from the windows toward the 4 x 6 vertical timber is transferring it's load to the timber.

  • Not only do you NEED a structural engineer to advise you on what you can do, you need one to tell you if what you DO have is proper and adequate. That connection where the top of the post meets the beams looks scary inadequate. – Alaska Man May 25 '17 at 18:54

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.