I am looking for something like this:

enter image description here

It is for my home after adding a new clean out. Here is what it looks like:

enter image description here

I searched the web high and low but I can't seem to find where to buy it. Maybe because I don't even know what it is called. Can someone help?


1 Answer 1


They're called valve boxes, but may also be called cleanout boxes or monument boxes though that seems rare for the residential application, and should be available at most any home center or home-improvement-related store.

Valve box

Image taken from Home Depot, and is used as an example only

  • Thanks. Would there be one that says "CLEAN OUT" on the cover? I wonder if there is special requirements for covering clean outs?
    – some user
    May 18, 2017 at 21:39
  • @someuser edited to add they may also be called cleanout boxes or monument boxes, which should help your search.
    – mmathis
    May 18, 2017 at 21:46
  • I found some document about requirement and it seems the city want "Christy Box F-8 or equivalent". It is made of concrete and it is expensive. I am not sure what alternative is considered equivalent but it does not look like the one pictured would cut it.
    – some user
    May 19, 2017 at 5:22
  • Where I live no one uses valve boxes to hide or protect the sanitary sewer clean-outs though I think this would be a good idea to protect it from lawn mower strikes. I have seen some clearly damaged in this way. The practice is to just leave the clean-out exposed at the surface. One problem is that the clean-outs can get buried and the homeowner can't find it in an emergency. May 19, 2017 at 10:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.