I have a kitchen faucet that is starting to move around in the hole cut in the counter top. I would like to figure out how to tighten it, but due to the location of drain pipes and the disposal I can't get my head back there. I can reach up, but I don't know what I am supposed to be doing.

I took a picture back there, but I am not really sure what I am supposed to do to tighten it.

enter image description here

enter code here

  • What is the make of the faucet? Do you know the model name or number? A picture of the faucet itself might help. It looks to me like that silver rectangle is some sort of a clip. Is this a super-fancy faucet? I can't tell what the BX conduit is for, or where it is going? Are those the sprayer hoses?
    – Dave Nay
    Commented Jan 16, 2012 at 2:04
  • I am not sure of the make of the faucet. It was in the house when I bought it and I don't see anywhere that it is labeled. I added a photo of it though. The conduit is for the head of the faucet (it pulls out like a spray hose).
    – Kellenjb
    Commented Jan 16, 2012 at 2:15

2 Answers 2


The tool you need to get behind the sink to tighten the retainer nut is called a basin wrench. You can buy them anywhere for $8 to $40. They swivel to fit and have extended handle so you can turn it from below the sink level. Yes, you have to do it by sense of feel, or position a mirror to help you see the nut. Google sink wrench or basin wrench and you will see dozens of them.

Plumb Pak PP840-7 11 Inch Basin Wrench $8 online

  • Thanks for the help. Guess I now need 1 more tool to add to my bag.
    – Kellenjb
    Commented Jan 17, 2012 at 15:27
  • Adding tools to your bag becomes an addiction when you own a house and DIY. LOL. But still cheaper and better than calling someone like me to bring my tool bag and leave you with a big bill...!!! Commented Jan 18, 2012 at 10:58

It looks like a Moen to me. The end of the pull-out hose opposite from the sprayer head should be attached to a short length of threaded pipe. This threaded pipe also has a nut on it that holds the faucet tight to the counter top. I think this nut is usually tightened with a specialty tool that comes with the faucet, so it might be a bit inconvenient to do it with a standard basin wrench.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.