Some of my cupboards have these spring loaded hinges, and they have started making an horrendous noise.

They look like this: enter image description here

How do I lubricate these hinges? Do I need to open them up? I'm afraid that if I open the wrong screw, putting them back together would be difficult.

  • 1
    You can try dry graphite lubricant on the hinges linking rods - remove the half moon cup from the door frame and you can get at them better. Make sure your adjustable locking screw is not allowing movement.
    – Ken
    May 7, 2017 at 4:38
  • Ken beat me to it. You can get tubes of graphite lubricant with a long, thin tip, sometimes even like a hollow needle. That lets you apply it in hard to reach places.
    – fixer1234
    May 7, 2017 at 4:44
  • ...and it lasts longer than WD-40
    – SDsolar
    May 7, 2017 at 5:59

1 Answer 1


If dry graphite is problematic to apply you can also find it suspended in a liquid for use in locks. Lightweight oil or volatile lubricants flow into the lock leaving the suspended graphite behind when they evaporate. (Dry graphite, if you haven't had a reason to use it before, is also very easy to "shoot" by squeezing the tube. It's a very fine powder.)

A trip to the local hardware store will be a big help since you can see all of your options. "Zoom spout turbine oil" is probably not primarily used on turbines; I think people like the long, flexible tube.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.