I am mounting kitchen and in my new apartment I found this kind of water supply tap. I am not sure how I can connect it with all three sink, dishwasher and washing machine.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :-)

enter image description here

  • How do these two valves work? Is the small valve on top independent of the larger center one? Or does the larger valve in the center shut off the water to both? Apr 27 '17 at 15:02
  • Where are you? This is the cold water supply right? Do you have a central hot water supply or do you use electric point of use hot water heaters for the kitchen sink, dishwasher, clothes washer, and bathroom lavatory and shower? Or do you just have cold water coming out everywhere except maybe the shower (which may have an electric heater in the shower head). Apr 27 '17 at 15:04
  • We could tell you exactly how to adapt it for your needs if only we knew (or could see) the connector sizes for the sink. For the dishwasher you likely need to adapt to 3/8" compression thread; for the washing machine you likely need garden-hose thread, which is the size of both outlets of that wye adapter. Apr 28 '17 at 0:59
  • Weirdly I can not comment on my post, because I don't have 50 reputation :-P. How I would suppose to reply you guys? I live in Germany and this is the only water supply valve in my kitchen. I am totally ignorant in this stuff.
    – Salman
    Apr 28 '17 at 10:06

I find it's best to assume the last guy had the same problem you are now having, and what you see is his solution.

It looks like it was factory made as a double tap, with an outlet on top and bottom, and the top one was never used (or his fitting did not need tape). From the bottom tap, the last guy put a splitter on it, to get 2 outlets from the one tap (while strangly not using the upper tap at all).

Behold 3 taps for you.

I don't think this is a tub/shower diverter, the valve angle is wrong, and that would be rather strange since there's no hot/cold mixer and it would be out-of-place in this location.

  • Not that strange that the top was unused - the fitting is a different diameter. It looks smaller than what a standard appliance hose would attach to.
    – CactusCake
    Apr 27 '17 at 14:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.