My house has a pressure reducing valve. valve I wish I had a bit more water pressure. Can I adjust this thing?

  • 1
    Do you have a pressure gauge you can hook up to a hose connection? If not, get one and come back to us here... – ThreePhaseEel Apr 16 '17 at 22:42
  • 1
    Also, can you take a sharper photo and post it? Your existing one is hideously blurry and I can't read the label on your valve. – ThreePhaseEel Apr 16 '17 at 22:43

Probably you can. The picture is indeed very blurry. You'll need a biggish screwdriver, and a wrench. You hold the screw steady with the screwdriver while loosening the nut, then turn the screwdriver a bit (don't go crazy) and then hold it and retighten the nut. Having a gauge installed and checking the pressure when nothing is drawing water, but also when things are will give some insight as to how well it's working (sometimes "low perceived pressure" and "PRV not working as it should" are related.)

  • Picture improved. – bmargulies Apr 17 '17 at 3:50
  • That regulator looks to old enough to need replacing. – d.george Apr 17 '17 at 11:14
  • I do not concur - it's nowhere near ancient, and in any case, function is a far better indicator than external appearance. Here's the instructions, @bmargulies media.wattswater.com/1915088.pdf - I note that there is a strainer which can be cleaned, as well as the expected adjustment procedure. It's also rebuildable. – Ecnerwal Apr 17 '17 at 12:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.