I have just moved recently, and I noticed that the doorbell does not work. So I tried to troubleshoot it myself. I use a multimeter and then
- connect both probe to the transformer it gives 16V which I assume is a good sign
- connect both probe to the chime, it also gives 16V (eventhough I dont press the doorbell button), so that means voltage is running through
- open the doorbell button and touch the probe to the 2 wire inside the doorbell button (I meant I unscrew it from the button and wire directly to the wire). It does not give me any voltage, well maybe around (0.3 or 0.4V)
What could be the problem in this case? is it the wiring or the doorbell button itself?
I figured if it's the wiring that is broken, how can the chime and transformer have 16V because theoretically, nothing is connected?