I'm looking at the websites for our local hardware stores (Rona, Totem, Home Hardware, Home Depot) for a 3 foot long drill bit, but all I'm coming up with is standard bits.

The problem is that it's probably a specialized tool and might even have a special name.

I need a drill bit long enough to punch a hole from my upstairs home theatre room into my basement server room.

Is there a special name for this bit and where might I find such a tool?

  • 3
    Hahaha, this reminds me of Spinal Tap so much. (Warning: NSFW language)
    – Doresoom
    Commented Jan 10, 2012 at 18:17
  • 4
    You can probably go to a local electrical wholesaler and pick one up. 36, 54, and 72 inches are the norm and you can even get extensions if you need longer.
    – lqlarry
    Commented Jan 11, 2012 at 3:33
  • Bell-Hanger bit is one standard name, if becoming somewhat out-dated.
    – Ecnerwal
    Commented Oct 17, 2014 at 0:48

3 Answers 3


Try searching for "auger bit".


Klein Tools has some Flex Auger Bits and Extensions.

Next time you're at the Home Depot check the Electrical section.

  • I find these fun to use for some reason. Most of them have a screw at the tip of the bit to make them self-starting too.
    – Steven
    Commented Jan 10, 2012 at 20:29
  • Ideal makes a good flex bit also. We always called them installer bits. Commented Jan 10, 2012 at 22:50

Try "installer bit"; the flexible ones are particularly nice. I have a 54" one, which is enough to run a line for a light switch into the floor below.

enter image description here

enter image description here

There's a hole in the drill bit, which lets you use it as a fish:

enter image description here

  • 2
    What is the wire mesh on your pull rod called? I had that at one of my high school jobs, but haven't been able to find it since and don't know its proper name.
    – Kellenjb
    Commented Jan 11, 2012 at 16:31
  • 1
    @Kellenjb as far as I can tell, it's just called a "wire mesh cable pull" or "cable grip". A search for that finds a bunch of places where you can buy different sizes with different types of attachments. The one I have came with the installer bit.
    – gregmac
    Commented Jan 13, 2012 at 15:08
  • Looks like it works like a chinese finger trap Commented May 22, 2013 at 12:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.