A lot of modern ceiling fans seem to come with remote control units. Several of the new units even come with plastic plugs on the wiring to make it easier for the installer. These fans all say "Do not install this fan with variable speed wall control." However, it says that it will damage the remote control receiver.
Is it reasonable to assume that if you remove the remote control unit and wire the fan directly to the variable speed wall control, this installation is safe? My understanding is that a proper variable speed fan control (not a dimmer) would operate in exactly the same manner as the remote control unit.
In the case of the fans with the plastic plugs, this would involve cutting the plug off the end and wiring the fan directly into the wires in the ceiling.
Here is an example manual from a fan sold by Lowes: http://pdf.lowes.com/installationguides/836071007989_install.pdf
Page 3: ELECTRIC SHOCK HAZARD - Do not install this fan with variable speed wall control or wall-mounted dimmer switch. It will permanently damage the fan’s remote control receiver and cause the fan’s functions to fail.