I just bought a new turntable and receiver

When I began using it, I noticed there was a loud buzzing sound coming from it.

Looking at the turntable's cables, there are the two Left and Right RCA cables as well as another cable with a missing head (not sure what the proper word is).

I realized this must be the ground cable and it just has uninsulated wire coming out of it.

Can I buy a new ground "head" and reattach it? How do I do this? Thanks

  • Can you provide a photo of where that cable connected to? – ThreePhaseEel Mar 22 '17 at 1:35

A crimp on eyelet or forked spade connector should do. There's nothing particular about a turntable ground wire like there might be for an antenna wire. I'd probably cut off the damaged end, re-strip with the appropriate size tool, and crimp to fresh wire. A locking pliers (Vice-Grip) works will in a pinch. So to speak.

enter image description here

It's also possible that the wire never had a connector. Some grounding lugs are designed to take a bare wire. Simply wrap the wire once around the lug, under any washer that's present, and snug it down lightly.

  • Thank you very much. When I reattach it, where do I connect the ground to? Is it okay to connect it to metal on the receiver, or does it have to be metal found elsewhere? – Sam Mar 22 '17 at 2:55
  • 1
    The receiver probably has a ground knob somewhere, probably close to any AM antenna connection. You can clamp it under there. – ratchet freak Mar 22 '17 at 8:58
  • @Sam: the turntable ground wire must go to the receiver. You want the receiver and turntable to have the same ground. Any amp that is designed for a turntable will have a ground (might be marked GND or a ground symbol). If it doesn't have one then you could try a random screw on the chassis. – Hank Mar 22 '17 at 13:50
  • I just found the ground knob, thanks very much for your help guys. :) – Sam Mar 23 '17 at 6:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.