I am a single lady homeowner of a fix-up foreclosure. I bought the home for cash but did have a home inspection done. It has been almost 10 years, and although I did fix the things that were initially spotted I want to make sure everything is OK in a couple specific areas that I am really unfamiliar with: attic (enough insulation, look for plumbing leaks, dead birds, etc) and foundation (have cracks in walls & ceiling). I was considering whether getting another home inspection would be helpful, because they can look at all my major systems. Who to call - can I get a cheap analysis and estimate for any damages from just one person? Do I need a contractor or can a handyman type do the job?

1 Answer 1


A home inspection would tell you WHAT's wrong. An architect would tell you WHAT's wrong, EVALUATE the conditions (i.e.: cracked foundation, lack of attic insulation, etc.) and offer SOLUTIONS on how to fix it, but not provide a bid...(but they could recommend several contractors to get bids from). A contractor would tell you WHAT's wrong, offer a SOLUTION and provide a bid to fix/repair the problem...but I'd recommend 3 reputable contractors and 3 bids.

  • I would add that foundation evaluation and repair may not be in the repertoire of "just any" contractor. You should seek a contractor with experience in that specifically. Mar 18, 2017 at 12:41
  • That's great advice from both of you, thanks. I never like to "bother" a contractor unless absolutely necessary. Lee, you explained the options in a brilliant succinct way, thanks.
    – MissT
    Mar 20, 2017 at 8:11
  • @MissT, please use upvotes and answer acceptance rather than "thank you" comments on SE.
    – isherwood
    Nov 2, 2017 at 15:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.