I need to disconnect my 3-phase cables from the power pole to my house. I'm building directly under it and though the contractors say they are okay with it, I would prefer to disconnect for a week or two to be 100% safe.
There is at least one spot where the cable has perished a bit and I can see copper showing through.
This is my plan:
- Wear rubber gloves, rubber shoes; make sure power can't go to ground through me and use a 1000V cable shear.
- Tie the cable on both sides of the cut so that the live end doesn't drop away.
- Cut the cable.
- Run a 6 inch tube of plastic pipe over the live end, and bend it over before taping it closed with plastic electrical tape.
- Coil and hang up the loose end safely away from the building.
- Repeat this process with all 4 cables, keeping them separate.
I am located in South Africa.