We have pretty good electrical wiring as an electronics hardware lecturer has recently changed certain wiring. Recently at one switch box in the mid-point of the house electrical wiring, when a neutral wire was disconnected, the whole house electrical supply got disconnected for a reason I don't understand. And, whenever a small load is connected, the voltage drops, lights dim, and certain devices like the TV stop working!

Can anyone diagnose the problem? Some friend suggested a loose contact with the neutral. Could this be the culprit?

  • 1
    What country are you located? Wiring methods do vary around the world. – Tyson Mar 5 '17 at 14:40

You have a broken neutral, and that is an emergency. Stop using anything right now that is downstream of that neutral break and having voltage problems!!!

Those appliances meant for 120V could see 240V, and appliances made for 230V could see 400V. This could fry them and start a fire.

Seriously. Now!

Then go back and thoroughly go through all your wiring, especially anything that guy touched, and find that neutral problem and fix it.

  • This is probably India and they presumably have the UK system of single leg 230 V hot with neutral and ground. If this is so, @Harper, how would that change your answer? – Jim Stewart Mar 6 '17 at 20:10
  • @JimStewart I would exchange "120 could see 240" and "230 could see 400", since the latter would be more likely applicable to him. – Harper - Reinstate Monica Mar 6 '17 at 20:46
  • I thought that since there is only a single voltage provided in India (230 V) that the effect of a loose or broken neutral would be low or zero current through devices. The most serious effect seems to me that there would be severe heating at the points of loose or partially broken neutrals which could start a fire. – Jim Stewart Mar 6 '17 at 23:19
  • If it's like the UK, it's 400v 3-phase wye, with any house getting 1-2 legs of it depending on their need. – Harper - Reinstate Monica Mar 7 '17 at 0:43
  • The standard residential power in the UK is a single phase, single voltage of about 230 V at 50 hz. One hot, one neutral, one ground. Everything in the house from electric range and a/c compressor to receptacles to electric lights is powered at the same 230 V. – Jim Stewart Mar 7 '17 at 1:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.