I have a tiny house between two hills, in a mountain area. For few weeks I've been searching how to get phone signal there.
There are two problems:
- there is no electricity
- the hills are blocking the signal from the antenna tower
I think the electricity problem is not a concern for now—I can use a generator or build something that will produce enough power for the things I need.
I'm wondering how to get phone signal, including a good 3G connection which will allow me browse the internet, eventually.
What would be the most reliable way to get phone signal at my house?
I imagine the scenario is like this:
/\ __🗼_ /\ / \ ______________/ \ / \ / \_/ / \_🏡_/
My idea: build a high enough tower near me house and put on top of it an gsm antenna which will bring the signal down in my house. However I don't know:
- What would be the best way to build such a tower (I want to build it on my land, not affecting my neighbours' lands—e.g. by adding long wires to sustain my tower)?
- How can I find what's the minimal height where I can get strong enough signal? I've been thinking to use a drone which will take my phone in the sky and using an app to screenshot the phone screen from time to time, but I'm not sure how that will work. Maybe there are better ways?
- Probably an antenna would need electricity. What is the best way to get electricity from in this case?
- Ultimately, what's the name of this job? How can I find experts in my area who are good in such measurements and eventually guide me on the implementation?
Satellite phone is not a solution in my case since there are no companies around providing that.