Refer to image: The red beam you see overhead in the picture (which runs perpendicular to the other beam) is directly underneath a hump which runs from the bathroom, into the hallway, and into the hallway closet. It is a fairly large hump at nearly 1/2" above the floor.

Question I have is, can I simply lower the support using the lug at the top of the threads or do I need to enlist the help of a professional? This is under 3 levels of condo units. Thanks!

enter image description here

  • 1
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because this sort of structural work needs on-site professional eyeballs – ThreePhaseEel Feb 23 '17 at 3:36
  • 2
    Especially in a MDU...but the question does, in part, ask if a professional should be enlisted - and the answer is YES!!! – Ecnerwal Feb 23 '17 at 3:50

Jacking buildings looks simple, but can be complex. I've done quite bit of it for a non-professional, but I happen to be related to a Licensed Professional Civil Engineer who directed the work I've done. As a brash youngster I often could not quite see why we had to take it so slowly - as a somewhat more experienced adult I grasp the fact that you can break a building by jacking it incorrectly.

With "3 levels of condo on top" you'd be well past "fool" and into "darned fool" territory not to have any such work guided by a Licensed Professional Engineer. It only looks simple.

There's also the pesky possibility that the column is right where it should be and other parts of the foundation are sinking.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.