I'm rewiring this device and the board on the device has these white plastic connectors. The existing wires terminate in a sort of metal slug that makes them a snug fit in their slots on the connectors.

Picture of connector

What is the name of these terminators/fittings? Are they available at hardware stores?

  • Do the connectors detach from the board as a unit? (I'd try with the connector on the right -- it looks like it should come off as a housing+contacts unit) Feb 23, 2017 at 1:47
  • @ThreePhaseEel Yes, they do. Feb 23, 2017 at 2:11
  • 1
    My mouth wants to say "Molex connector" but there are a variety of workalike connectors. The common thing is they are not intended as access points for those wires. If you're trying to tap one of these wires, they will have provided other places to do that. Feb 23, 2017 at 2:27
  • @Harper I'm not trying to connect to the existing wires, I need to add new wires to the empty slots. Molex connectors look promising, but they're $12 on Amazon. Would a hardware store carry them? Feb 23, 2017 at 2:35
  • Note many of those voids do not have contacts in them. Adding contacts to that type of connector (if you could even find them) is a rather delicate operation even in the factory. So it's extremely unlikely that the manufacturer intends a consumer/installer to add contacts in the field. It's only intended as an internal interconnect, and tying to them would be akin to "hacking the device". I would get the furnace manual. Trying to attach here is a lost cause, they surely provided an alternative. Feb 23, 2017 at 2:54

1 Answer 1


Based on the feedback I got in the comments, I purchased some pin and socket connectors. They ended up being bigger than the ones already present, but they still fit and work for the intended purpose.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.