0

we have blue water and think something is corroding the copper pipes. Have recirculators. Problem started after flushing with chlorine and now flushed with sodium bicarb. Ideas?

1
  • Is this in the hot side, the cold side, or both? Are you on city water or a well? – ThreePhaseEel Feb 22 '17 at 23:25
2

a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

you have created copper chloride dihydrate in your drinking water. its deadly in high concentrations and is not permitted in drinking water at levels above 5 ppm. you should flush your pipes out with vinegar or another weak acid (just use vinegar, its safe and doesn't run the risk of creating new problems. it will dissolve the copper salt and remove it from your water. then flush the system out with sodium bicarbonate to neutralize any residual acid salts that may have formed.

and for the love of god, have your water tested before anyone suffers liver or kidney failure from copper salt poisoning.

2
  • first and foremost, test the pH of the water. You can buy pH strips online or at pool supply shops. You will want strips that cover the 5-9 pH range. Usually copper in the water is caused by acidic well water, although your case is a little different. you say you flushed with chlorine - does this mean you are finished adding chlorine (ie, you aren't feeding it continually?). If you are feeding continually you need to greatly decrease your feed rate. But again, with water, the first thing is always pH. Things are always a lot happier closer to 7! – aaron Feb 22 '17 at 20:47
  • also I bet the water tastes terrible. I doubt anyone will drink enough of it to get poisoned, but be careful! If the water is visibly blue (not just leaving blue stains) for gods sake dont drink it. – aaron Feb 22 '17 at 20:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.