Like all british windows, mine also open to the outside making fitting insect nets quite difficult.

Has anyone managed to find a way to fit nets on these kind of windows?

The only way that I can see is fitting the net on the inside, but then I wont be able to open/close the window.

  • Are these casement windows or something else?
    – d.george
    Feb 21 '17 at 23:31

Here is a crude design.

Pivot window box screen

I have seen, but cannot seem to find an on-line image, a much more elegant design in older buildings, where for a center-pivoting window the exterior screen is shaped rather like half a barrel, rather than as a box. It's probably more expensive to build them that way.

The modern approach for top or side pivoting windows (awning or casement) in the USA is to have an interior screen and a window crank that allows opening and closing the window without removing the screen. Center pivoting windows are the difficult case, and as a result are rarely seen these days.


In the US we call them window screens instead of nets. Yes, there is a "window" made in the window screen for outwardly opening windows that allows you to reach through the screen, unlatch the window and open it. It's called a wicket. Goggle "wickets in window screens".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.