I would like to build a nest swing for my daughter (similar to attached image) but am not sure what I can use as the base ring under the rope. I have considered bending some plumbers copper pipe into a circle and soldering with a straight coupler, then lagging and rope. But not sure this will be strong enough.

And ideas on where I can find a metal ring of around 1.2m diameter off the shelf?

I suppose another option is a sheet of wood and a jigsaw, but not ideal.enter image description here

closed as off-topic by Daniel Griscom, ThreePhaseEel, Tester101 Feb 22 '17 at 18:12

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions seeking product or service recommendations are off-topic because they tend to become obsolete quickly. Instead, describe your situation and the specific problem you're trying to solve." – Daniel Griscom, ThreePhaseEel, Tester101
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


1" or 1-1/4" flexible polyethylene pipe, such as is used for irrigation systems, would probably do well. It would be rigid enough to hold shape, yet light enough to not knock a kid out in a forehead shot. If you're concerned about rigidity, nest one size inside another.

You should be able to buy it by the foot from big-box home stores, or in small coils at most hardware stores. You'd want to use an interior splicer, or a wooden dowel if one isn't readily available.

  • Thanks! Have ordered some pipe, will let you know how it goes. I'll post a photo of the finished swing :) – DairyLea Feb 19 '17 at 16:38

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.